To improve the lives of hardworking households by mobilizing the resources of local communities to create lasting change.
We are committed to ensuring that every child enters school ready to learn, every family is financially stable, and every community we serve is healthy and strong. We are the recognized leader in identifying issues and pathways to solutions.
WHERE WE SERVE
We serve more than 25 percent of the state’s population across 27 communities within Fairfield and Southern Litchfield Counties, including the Cities of Bridgeport, Danbury, Norwalk, and Stamford, and the Towns of Bethel, Bridgewater, Brookfield, Darien, Easton, Fairfield, Kent, Monroe, New Canaan, New Fairfield, New Milford, Newtown, Redding, Ridgefield, Roxbury, Sherman, Stratford, Trumbull, Warren, Washington, Westport, Wilton, and Weston, Connecticut.
We empower ALICE to thrive through a unique, multi-pronged approach. We support existing resources through targeted community investments and, where resources do not exist, we tackle those disparities head on, developing innovative programming. Through strategic partnerships, we maximize our mission and diversify our impact.
IT TAKES A CONNECTED COMMUNITY
We are grateful to have a community committed to empowering every hardworking individual and family to thrive where it matters most: where we live.
EMBRACING DIVERSITY: OUR COMMITMENT TO EQUITY AND INCLUSION
UWCWC is committed to building our community into a place where everyone has the opportunity to thrive. We prioritize and leverage our strong partnership with the community to ensure our work is improving lives and creating a future of greater inclusion and equity. We have zero tolerance for and condemn acts of racism, bigotry, xenophobia, and expressions of discrimination stemming from one’s race, ethnicity, socio-economic status, religious belief, gender expression, sexual orientation, disability, sex, age, national origin, or any legally protected class under federal, state, or local laws. UWCWC is guided by the following principles:
- We value, respect, and embrace diversity with a commitment to incorporating practices that enhance diversity into all areas of our work.
- We acknowledge that combatting racism is an ongoing journey.
- We strive to empower communities to have a voice in decision-making processes that impact their lives.
- We acknowledge that transparency is essential for accountability and building trust.
- Learning and growing together as a community through ongoing training and conversations about race and equity.
UWCWC recognizes the power and privilege of our brand. As leaders in our community, we are will play a significant role in being part of the solution for positive change. Therefore, we commit to:
- Assessing our actions, policies, and programs to ensure they are equitable and inclusive.
- Communicating openly about our anti-racism efforts, progress, and challenges.
- Learning and growing together as a community through ongoing training and conversations about race, equity and their intersections.
- Transforming systems and instituting systemic changes that create a more just and equitable future.
- Elevating the voice and power of our community.
- Requiring accountability and transparency at all levels - from our organization to all institutions with whom we partner.
- Advocating for justice and speaking up in unity and in action whenever we see justice not being served.
5-Day Equity Challenge Resources
The challenges serve as a powerful opportunity to develop a deeper understanding of how inequity and racism affect our lives and our community. To access resources from the previous Equity Challenges, click here.
One Community, Living United.
Together, we can create lasting change in our communities.