About the Heart of Gold Scholarship
The Roberta K. Eichler Heart of Gold Scholarship is named for the longstanding Executive Director of the Stamford Volunteer Center. This $5,000 scholarship is awarded annually to support and promote the continuing education of an outstanding student volunteer from the Stamford community.
Candidate must be a high school senior who is a Stamford resident and/or attends a high school in Stamford.
- Student must have been active over the past two years in one or more volunteer events/projects.
- Student displays outstanding participation, dedication, and commitment toward volunteer events/projects as well as volunteerism in general.
- Student demonstrates leadership qualities in connection with volunteerism.
- A 1-2 page essay describing the importance of volunteering and the benefits that the student has personally derived from volunteering.
- A resume that details the student’s volunteer activities and leadership roles as well as academic background and accolades, extracurricular activities, and work experience.
- At least one letter of recommendation* by a supervising staff member of the nonprofit agency where the student volunteers, religious institution they attend, other supervising person related to the volunteer service, or their high school guidance counselor or teacher.
- (Optional): Any additional supplemental materials that would enhance the student’s application, such as awards, certificates, photos, or other materials related to volunteer activities.
The application deadline for the 2023 Heart of Gold Scholarship is currently closed.
- February 1st: Applications open
- March 22nd: Application deadline
- Week of April 17th: Selected candidates invited for half-hour interviews
- April 25th: All candidates will be notified of the application decision
- May 4th: Winners will be presented with the Heart of Gold Scholarship at the UWWC Community Council meeting
HOW TO SUBMIT MATERIALS
Submit the online application using the form below or download and complete the paper application with the essay, resume, and (optional) supplemental materials attached by:
- Delivering to a school counselor at Stamford High School, Westhill High School, or AITE.
- Mailing the paper application materials to United Way of Western Connecticut c/o Meghan Hadley 1150 Summer Street, 2nd Floor Stamford, CT 06905. (Please note that mailed applications must be postmarked by March 22, 2023)
*The letter(s) should attest to the student’s commitment to and participation in volunteerism, leadership qualities in connection with volunteerism, and any other relevant factors or information in support of the student. Please ask that letter(s) of recommendation be sent directly to Meghan Hadley at email@example.com or mailed to 1150 Summer Street, 2nd Floor Stamford, CT 06905 and postmarked by March 22, 2023.