Food for Thought is a partnership between United Way and Stamford Cradle to Career to ensure that children can access no-cost school meals by increasing SNAP and HUSKY awareness and enrollment.
Campaign partners include United Way, Stamford Cradle to Career, Stamford Food Collaborative, Stamford Public Schools, City of Stamford, End Hunger CT! and Access Health CT. Since launching in late September, we have provided 13 events, reaching more than 300 community partners. As a result, 1,863 or 33% more students have been directly certified with SNAP, HUSKY, and other programs. This increase strengthens the District’s capacity to sustainably grow and improve the school meal program and address student food insecurity long term. Additionally, United Way is actively engaged in statewide food policy initiatives, including the School Meals 4 All CT and CT Office of the Food Advocate campaigns.
Become a Husky Health Messenger!
Learn how to promote HUSKY enrollment and support equitable health outcomes and childhood success in your community.
¡Conviértete en un mensajero de salud de Husky! Aprenda cómo promover la inscripción en HUSKY y apoyar los resultados de salud equitativos y el éxito infantil en su comunidad.
- 2 Sessions were held in November in English & Spanish
HUSKY 101 Video - English (WATCH)
HUSKY 101 Video - Español (WATCH)
As of October 1, 2022, the thresholds for qualifying for SNAP have increased!
- As of October 1, 2022, the thresholds for qualifying for SNAP have increased! Even if you were ineligible before, you may be eligible now!
- Click here to see Expanded SNAP Eligibility Form (English & Spanish)
The session was held in December 2022. (Completamente en español)
- SNAP 101 Video (Español)
- For a copy of the flyer, click here.
- Haga clic aquí para leer la guía de los conceptos básicos del programa de asistencia nutricional suplementaria (SNAP)
- Click here to read the guide to the basics of the supplemental nutrition assistance program (SNAP)
School Meals Are Free!
- School meals are free for all Stamford Public School students – No forms required.
- Free breakfast and lunch for all Stamford Public School students – No forms or payment required!
Household Income Survey Form
- No forms are required for school meals!
Please be aware that Stamford Public Schools was approved to provide free breakfast and lunch to all students for the 2022-2023 school year. No application is required to participate in the meal program. However, families who wish to have a letter from Stamford Public Schools in order to prove eligibility for a reduction in fees for camps, exams, or other such services should complete the Household Income Survey, which can be found here.
- Encuesta de Ingresos de los Hogares, se puede encontrar aquí.
Information Session on School Food in Stamford
Did you miss the session? Click below to see the slides and notes from the presentation (in Spanish and English).
End Hunger Connecticut! (EHC!)
End Hunger Connecticut is a statewide anti-hunger nonprofit in Connecticut dedicated to eliminating hunger and promoting healthy nutrition through outreach, public education, and legislative and administrative advocacy. By partnering with state and local officials, schools, and community-based organizations, EHC! enhances the visibility and coordination of federal food assistance programs crucial to any effort to improve food security while increasing both family well-being and the amount of federal funding available to the state. For more information visit End Hunger Connecticut.